On the morning of November 3, 1926, fifty-two men were underground at the Barnes-Hecker iron mine west of Ishpeming. At 11:20 a routine blast went off. Within about fifteen minutes the entire mine, more than a thousand feet deep, was full of water, mud, and quicksand. Fifty-one men died. One man outran it, straight up.

A mine under waterlogged ground
The Barnes-Hecker worked a rich arm of the Marquette Iron Range near North Lake, and everyone knew it was a wet mine. Part of the ore body ran beneath waterlogged ground, where the cover above the workings was soft, water-soaked glacial drift rather than solid rock. Cleveland-Cliffs had engineered it to be as safe as the era allowed.
That morning’s blast, for reasons no one survived to explain, cracked the ceiling of a stope open to that soft ground. The swamp above poured in. On the surface, onlookers watched a pit 300 feet long open up and swallow the landscape as the water-soaked ground above drained into the mine like a pulled bathtub plug.
Fifteen minutes
Down on the second level, a 23-year-old tram motorman named Rutherford Wills, who went by Wilford, felt a blast of air snuff out his light and heard the rumble every miner dreaded. He shouted a warning and ran for the shaft with three other men, Jack Hanna, Joseph Mankee, and Thomas Kirby Jr. The hoist was already gone. They started up the ladders.
Wills climbed roughly 800 feet with the flood rising under him, at times to his waist. The three men climbing below him were overtaken and never made it out. He came out of the shaft collar into the daylight alone. The water stopped rising about 185 feet below the surface. Of the fifty-one men still down there, among them the mine captain and County Mine Inspector William E. Hill, who had been re-elected to his job only the day before, none came up alive.

The mine became the grave
Rescue was impossible almost immediately, and even recovery proved too dangerous. Pumping was attempted and abandoned, and search parties working in through the connected North Lake mine were driven back. Only ten of the dead were ever brought out. The remaining forty-one men were left where they lay, and the flooded shaft was permanently sealed above them. The Barnes-Hecker never operated again. It remains the worst industrial disaster in Michigan history.
The human arithmetic was staggering for a community the size of Ishpeming. Many of the dead were Finnish immigrants and their sons, and the disaster left 42 widows and 132 children without fathers. The law of 1926 required nothing of Cleveland-Cliffs, which voluntarily paid the families double workers’ compensation. Wills, the only survivor, carried the day with him for the remaining 46 years of his life, in an era before anyone had a name for that kind of wound. Members of his own extended family were among the men who never came up.
Remembering them
The site of the Barnes-Hecker sits quiet today off County Road 496 near North Lake, marked by a memorial stone raised by Ely Township in 1971 and a state historical marker. A plaque at the Cliffs Shaft Mine Museum in Ishpeming carries all fifty-one names, and the museum’s great headframes are the best place to stand and understand the world these men worked in. Every November 3, people from the mining towns still stop to read the names.
The U.P. was built on iron, and iron had a price. The Barnes-Hecker is where the Marquette Range paid the most of it in a single morning, and one young man’s climb up 800 feet of ladder is the only reason anyone lived to describe it.
Correction: An earlier version of this article said the mine ran beneath a lake and that divers took part in the recovery. Neither is right. The flood came from the water-saturated glacial ground above the workings, not a lake, and no divers were involved. Our description of the ground above the mine follows the wording of the U.S. Bureau of Mines report. We have also corrected the number of men underground and the count of families left behind. Our thanks to the readers and the Barnes-Hecker remembrance community who set the record straight. For the definitive account, see Mary V. Tippett’s book Enduring Legacies: People of the 1926 Barnes-Hecker Mine Disaster.
Yooper Hub community
The conversation
Know something this story missed? Corrections and additions get read by an editor and folded into the article, with credit.
Real neighbors, real names. A Yooper Hub editor reads your first comment before it appears; after that you’re a known neighbor and your comments post right away. No account required. Community guidelines
Nothing here yet. A sentence is plenty: a correction, a name, or what you remember about this place.
Know a story we should cover?
Help Us Find What Matters Across the U.P.
Send us a local lead, community event, photo, or story idea. The best Yooper stories often begin with a reader.
Sources, credits, and reporting details
Sources & accountability
How this story was reported
Editorial methodArchival synthesis
Last verifiedJul. 13, 2026
Corrections statusNo material correction identified in the July 13, 2026 source review.
Verification note: Rechecked on August 22, 2026 against Robert M. Neil's account in the Mining History Journal (2008). The 800-foot climb is confirmed there three times. The 600-foot figure that turns up in some retellings is a mine level rather than a distance: the shaft was 1,060 feet deep and worked levels at 600, 800 and 1,000 feet, and Wills was tramming on the 800 when the water came in. On his name, Neil uses Wilford throughout, taken from Wills's own testimony at the February 1927 coroner's inquest, while his descendants know him as Rutherford, so the article now carries both. The mine depth, the 185-foot water line, the 42 widows and 132 fatherless children, and the ten bodies recovered all check out against Neil as published. One point stays open: Neil gives his age as twenty-two, while other accounts say twenty-three.
Primary sources
-
Accessed Jul. 13, 2026.
Direct public evidence reviewed against the article on July 13, 2026.
Additional reporting
-
Accessed Aug. 22, 2026.
Photo and media credits
-
cliffs-shaft-mine-ishpeming — Creator or rights holder named in the WordPress attachment caption
Featured image record. Accessed Jul. 13, 2026. CC BY-SA 3.0.
Supports: Featured image used by this article.
The Cliffs Shaft Mine headframes in Ishpeming. A memorial plaque at the mine museum here carries the names of the Barnes-Hecker dead. Photo: Andrew Jameson / Wikimedia Commons (CC BY-SA 3.0).



