Skip to article

130 Years Ago Tomorrow, Ontonagon Burned to the Ground in an Afternoon. The Lighthouse Keeper’s Family Saved the Light With Buckets. The Company That Owned the Town Never Came Back.

4 min read
A cream-brick lighthouse with a black lantern rising from the corner of an attached one-and-a-half story keeper's house with green shutters, seen across the river mouth with a small white rowboat on the lawn and a red-roofed oil house at left.
Photo: rossograph, CC BY-SA 4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

Tomorrow is August 25. On that date in 1896, a Tuesday, the village of Ontonagon stopped existing between about one in the afternoon and dark.

It had been a dry summer. Forest fires had been smoking up the country since the beginning of the month, and fire had been smoldering for weeks in the swamps along the west bank of the Ontonagon River, south of town. Nobody was much alarmed. Ontonagon was a company town of about 2,300 people, and the company was the Diamond Match Company, which had come to the Copper Country in 1884, employed close to a thousand local men, cut as much as 100 million board feet a year, and had, on the day in question, tens of millions of feet of dry, seasoned lumber stacked in its yards at the edge of the village.

On the morning of the 25th the wind came up hot and hard from the south, gusting, by later estimate, to something like 75 miles an hour. It picked burning brands out of the swamp and dropped them into the lumber piles. Diamond Match sent men with hoses. It did not matter. Around one o’clock the fire alarm sounded and the sawmill was already burning. By two the town was ablaze.

James Corgan kept the lighthouse at the river mouth, and he wrote it down in the station log the way keepers wrote everything down. The Diamond Match dwellings caught at 1:20. By two the town was on fire. Then it came for the light. Corgan, his wife, his son Harry and the hired girl spent the rest of the day carrying water and keeping the roofs and the outbuildings wet so they would not catch. The heat made even getting water hard. Corgan burned his feet. The lighthouse is still there.

Almost nothing else was. The count afterward was 344 buildings gone: four churches, three hotels, a bank, twelve stores, thirteen saloons, two newspapers, three schoolhouses, the opera house, the courthouse and the jail, nearly 300 houses, two iron bridges, the barge City of Straits, the entire Diamond Match plant, and forty million feet of lumber. A square mile burned. One person died, an elderly German woman named Mrs. Pirk. About 2,000 people had no home that night.

The relief was fast because it had to be. A tug came across from Baraga County the next evening with supplies. A woman named Julia Herbert fed 250 people at every meal for a day and a half. Families that still had roofs took in 110 of the homeless. The state militia put up 150 tents at the fairgrounds, a canvas town people called White City. Money and goods came in from across the peninsula, from lower Michigan, from Milwaukee and Green Bay. Four hundred people took the railroad’s offer of free passage out.

Diamond Match sent relief money. Then, in February 1897, it announced it would not rebuild in Ontonagon. The mill, the yards and the thousand jobs were gone with the buildings. The company and the village were already fighting over taxes on the logs Diamond Match held in the river, a fight that went all the way to the Supreme Court in 1903. But the decision that mattered to the town was the one in February. Ontonagon rebuilt, smaller, and stayed smaller.

The lighthouse the Corgans saved is owned by the Ontonagon County Historical Society now, and you can tour it from their museum on River Street. Corgan’s log is one of the reasons the day can be told hour by hour. It is a good thing to think about tomorrow: a family on a roof with buckets while a company town burned behind them, and a set of neat handwritten times.

Yooper Hub community

The conversation

Know something this story missed? Corrections and additions get read by an editor and folded into the article, with credit.

Real neighbors, real names. A Yooper Hub editor reads your first comment before it appears; after that you’re a known neighbor and your comments post right away. No account required. Community guidelines

Nothing here yet. A sentence is plenty: a correction, a name, or what you remember about this place.

Join the conversation

First comments are read by an editor before they appear.

class=”yh-after-story” aria-label=”Keep reading”>

Enjoyed this story?

Share it with another Yooper

Know a story we should cover?

Help Us Find What Matters Across the U.P.

Send us a local lead, community event, photo, or story idea. The best Yooper stories often begin with a reader.

Submit a Story
Sources, credits, and reporting details

Sources & accountability

How this story was reported

Editorial methodArchival synthesis

Last verifiedAug. 15, 2026

Corrections statusNo material correction note is recorded on this article.

Verification note: Drafted 2026-08-15 for the 130th anniversary (the fire was 1896-08-25; the post runs 8/24 and says 'tomorrow'). Lumber lost is given as forty million feet (MTU Archives and Bohnak agree; one summary said fifty). Homeless is Bohnak's about 2,000; 2,300 is the village population. The Supreme Court case is characterized only as a tax dispute over logs in the boom.

Primary sources

  1. Flashback Friday: Fire on the Banks of the Ontonagon — Michigan Tech Archives and Copper Country Historical Collections (Emily Riippa Schwiebert)

    Published Aug. 14, 2020. Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: Smoke from August 2; fire smoldering in the swamps along the river's west bank; the hot wind of the 25th; Diamond Match's arrival in 1884, up to 100 million board feet a year, almost a thousand men; the one o'clock alarm with the sawmill ablaze; the losses (courthouse and jail, four churches, three hotels, twelve stores, thirteen saloons, two newspapers, three schoolhouses, the opera house, forty million feet of lumber, two iron bridges, the barge City of Straits); Mrs. Pirk the one death; population 2,300; 110 taken in; the tug from Baraga County; Julia Herbert; Diamond Match's relief and refusal to rebuild.

    Draws on the Ontonagon lighthouse journal and the Ontonagon County Historical Society.

  2. August 25, 1896: The day Ontonagon burned — WLUC TV6 (Karl Bohnak)

    Published Aug. 25, 2020. Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: Gusts estimated at 75 mph; 344 buildings destroyed; one square mile burned; a bank and nearly 300 residences lost; about 2,000 homeless; 400 taking the railroad's aid; 150 tents at the fairgrounds, the militia's 'White City'; aid from Milwaukee and Green Bay; Diamond Match's February 1897 announcement.

  3. Ontonagon Lighthouse — Lighthousefriends.com

    Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: The 1866 lighthouse; keeper James Corgan's log entries for the fire; the family, son Harry and the hired girl carrying water to keep the roofs wet; Corgan's burned feet; Ontonagon County Historical Society ownership since 2003 and tours from 422 River Street.

Additional reporting

  1. Diamond Match Company v. Ontonagon, 188 U.S. 82 (1903) — U.S. Supreme Court, via Wikisource

    Published Jan. 19, 1903. Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: A dispute between the company and the village over tax assessments on logs held in the river boom reached the Supreme Court in 1903.

    Syllabus only; the copy does not state the holding.

Photo and media credits

  1. Ontonagon Lighthouse.jpg (featured image) — rossograph, via Wikimedia Commons

    Featured image record. Published Jun. 6, 2019. Accessed Aug. 15, 2026. CC BY-SA 4.0.

    Original 3681×2728, cropped 16:9 (box 0,328,3681,2399), resized to 1600×900 q85. Attachment 2438.

Corrections policyReport a correction or missing credit

Get The Daily Stamp in your inbox each morning.

Get more U.P. stories

Join Yooper Hub readers for local stories, history, and community updates from across the Upper Peninsula.
Joining...

You are on the list. The next Daily Stamp lands in your inbox tomorrow morning.