Skip to article

A Copper Town Hired Two Men Out of Louis Sullivan’s Chicago Office to Build Its Hotel in 1899. One of Them Went On to Build Frank Lloyd Wright’s Masterpieces.

3 min read
The Douglass House hotel in Houghton around 1908, a long light brick building with an arched ground-floor loggia and ornate corner cupolas, seen from above with streetcar tracks and trees along the street below.
Photo: Detroit Publishing Co., public domain, via Wikimedia Commons

The Douglass House still stands on Shelden Avenue in Houghton, and the ground floor still has its bar. What is not obvious from the sidewalk is that the building came out of the most consequential architecture office in America.

It started small. The original was a three-storey frame structure put up in 1860, back when Houghton was a copper town finding out how big it was going to get. By the end of the century that was not enough. In 1899 a group of Houghton-area investors headed by John C. Mann incorporated the Douglass House Company, bought the hotel, and set about doubling it.

They did not hire locally.

The Chicago connection

The addition was designed by Henry L. Ottenheimer of Chicago and built by Paul F. P. Mueller, also of Chicago. Both men came out of Adler and Sullivan.

Ottenheimer apprenticed under Louis Sullivan from 1884 to 1889 and worked on drawings for the Auditorium Building, which is one of the landmark American buildings of the century. He was in that drafting room at the same time as a young Frank Lloyd Wright.

Mueller is the one whose later career makes you sit up. He was Adler and Sullivan’s office foreman, the man who turned drawings into buildings. He went independent in 1897 and Houghton got him two years later. After the Douglass House, Wright hired him again and again: the E-Z Polish Factory in 1905, then Unity Temple in Oak Park in 1907 and 1908, a job that bankrupted him, then Midway Gardens, and finally, with his son Ralph, the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo between 1921 and 1923.

So the hotel on Shelden Avenue was an early commission for the builder Frank Lloyd Wright would spend twenty years calling back.

What the money bought

The addition cost $125,000 to build and another $30,000 to $40,000 to furnish it, which in 1899 was a serious sum for a town of Houghton’s size. It took the hotel from 50 rooms to 100.

The style is Italian Renaissance, in buff-coloured brick with white-glazed terracotta trim. A loggia runs across the front with gold cupolas above it, and there are corner towers that were not in the original plans at all, which is the kind of detail that means somebody looked at the drawings partway through and decided to spend more.

The dance hall and the dining room did the real work. They were the social centre of Houghton, which in a copper town at the top of its boom meant they were the social centre of a place with money and a reason to celebrate it.

What it is now

The Douglass House went onto the National Register of Historic Places on May 13, 1982. Two years later, in 1984, it was converted into apartments.

The first-floor bar is still intact.

That is a better outcome than most grand hotels of that vintage got. It is not a museum and nobody pretends it is. People live in it, and you can still get a drink on the ground floor of a building put up by the man who built Unity Temple.

Sources, credits, and reporting details

Sources & accountability

How this story was reported

Editorial methodArchival synthesis

Last verifiedAug. 15, 2026

Corrections statusNo material correction note is recorded on this article.

Verification note: TWO THINGS DELIBERATELY NOT IN THE COPY. (1) The widely retold anecdote, attributed to Chicago cultural historian Tim Samuelson, that Frank Lloyd Wright punched Ottenheimer and broke his glasses and Ottenheimer stabbed Wright in the neck with a drafting tool. Only informal secondhand retellings were found and it is a violent claim about two named real people. If sourced to Samuelson directly or to a Wright biography it is worth a paragraph; do not add it from a blog. (2) That the hotel is named for Douglass Houghton the state geologist. Very probably true, the city is, but no source read for this piece says so, so the article does not assert it. DEDUP NOTE: the screen flagged posts 1638 and 2048 on two shared tokens, which is normally the real-duplicate pattern; both were checked and are name collisions only, since both concern Douglass Houghton the man and the waterfall rather than the hotel.

Primary sources

  1. Douglass House (Houghton, Michigan), National Register of Historic Places record — National Register of Historic Places, via Wikipedia

    Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: The 1860 three-storey frame original; the 1899 incorporation of the Douglass House Company by investors headed by John C. Mann and the purchase of the hotel; the 1899 addition; Henry L. Ottenheimer as architect and Paul F. P. Mueller as builder, both of Chicago; 50 rooms becoming 100; the dance hall and dining room as the social centre of Houghton; Italian Renaissance in buff brick with white-glazed terracotta; the loggia, gold cupolas and corner towers absent from the original plans; the $125,000 construction and $30,000-$40,000 furnishing costs; National Register listing 1982-05-13; and the 1984 conversion to apartments with the first-floor bar intact.

  2. Frank Lloyd Wright and Paul Mueller: the architect and his builder of choice — arq: Architectural Research Quarterly

    Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: Peer-reviewed source for Paul F. P. Mueller: Adler and Sullivan office foreman, independent contractor from 1897, and Frank Lloyd Wright repeat builder 1903-1923 including the E-Z Polish Factory (1905), Unity Temple (1907-08, which bankrupted him), Midway Gardens (1913-14) and, with son Ralph, the Imperial Hotel in Tokyo (1921-23). German-born engineer, died Chicago 1934. This establishes that the Douglass House in 1899 was an early commission for the builder Wright would return to for twenty years.

Additional reporting

  1. Biographical material on Henry Leopold Ottenheimer (1868-1919) — Julia Bachrach Consulting

    Accessed Aug. 15, 2026.

    Supports: Ottenheimer apprenticed under Louis Sullivan at Adler and Sullivan from 1884 to 1889, worked on drawings for the Auditorium Building, and was in that office at the same time as Frank Lloyd Wright. Source also carries the Wright fight anecdote, which was deliberately excluded from the copy as insufficiently sourced.

Photo and media credits

  1. The Douglass House, Houghton, Michigan, c1908 (Detroit Publishing Co.) — Detroit Publishing Co., via Wikimedia Commons

    Featured image record. Published Jan. 1, 1908. Accessed Aug. 15, 2026. Public domain.

    Public domain Detroit Publishing plate, 9581×7535, circa 1908, the hotel within about a decade of the addition. 16:9 crop box (0,1400,9581,6789) down to 1600×900, trimming sky and overhead wires while keeping the corner cupolas, the arched loggia and the streetcar tracks. Detroit Publishing caption in the bottom margin is cropped out. Source scan is 72 megapixels and needs Image.MAX_IMAGE_PIXELS = None to open.

Corrections policyReport a correction or missing credit

Yooper Hub community

The conversation

Real neighbors, real names. A Yooper Hub editor reads your first comment before it appears; after that you’re a known neighbor and your comments post right away. No account required. Community guidelines

No comments yet. Yours can start the conversation.

Join the conversation

First comments are read by an editor before they appear.

Get The Daily Stamp in your inbox each morning.

Get more U.P. stories

Join Yooper Hub readers for local stories, history, and community updates from across the Upper Peninsula.
Joining...

Almost there. Check your inbox for a confirmation email from newsletter@yooperhub.com and click the confirm button in it to finish joining. If it is not there, look in spam or promotions.